- 20 watts per channel in stereo mode
- Toroidal transformer for ultra-quiet performance
- May be bridged for 40 watt mono operation (requires load of 8 or more ohms)
- Front panel headphone jack with volume control
- Ideal for small speakers or headphone system
- Speaker on-off switch
- Overload and signal-present LED's for each channel
- Power-on indicator
- Ground lift switch
- Provision for remotely located headphone volume controls
The SP-20A may be operated in any of three modes as selected by a rear-panel switch: normal stereo, two channel mono, or single channel (bridged) mono. The latter mode allows a power output of 40 watts provided the load is 8 or more ohms.
The SP-20A is housed in a compact, half rack chassis, allowing it to be mounted either alone or side by side with other SP-20A's in a 19" rack. Mounting kits are available from Furman.
The SP-20A's small sizel makes it ideal for modular use in large commercial installations with multiple small speakers. Its power capacity is also just right for driving the small "cube" reference speakers used in most recording studios as a comparison with the main control room monitors - it can power them without overpowering them.
The SP-20A's output is available through either of two connectors: standard banana jack binding posts for speakers, or through a male XLR connector. The latter allows the unit to become a headphone driver, linking any number of Furman HR-2 Headphone Remote Stations together via standard microphone cables. Each HR-2 station conveniently clips to a mic stand and provides individual volume controls for two sets of headphones. When used for overdubbing or rehearsal, this setup provides plenty of loudness in any kind of headphones (even older low-impedance models), and allows each musician to set his or her own comfortable volume level. When the overdubbing is complete and the musicians remove their headphones, the SP-20A can also power the tape playback speakers through the banana jacks. The output - headphone chain or speakers - is selected by pressing a front panel pushbutton. An additional headset may be plugged directly into the SP-20A's front panel. A volume control is provided for it.
The SP-20A has a convenient input level control on the left side of the front panel. A pair of yellow LED's -- one for each channel -- light up whenever signal is present (threshold -28 dBu). Another pair of red LED's show an overload condition in either channel. The SP-20A is fully protected against thermal overload, and it can withstand a short circuit on any or all outputs for an indefinite time without damage.
- Model SP-20AB: Provides balanced inputs with XLR connectors in place of 1/4" phone inputs.
- Rack Mounting Kits: Adaptor kits for mounting one SP-20A centered in a 19" rack (HRKIT-1), or two SP-20A's side by side in a 19" rack (HRKIT-2).
- Accessory: Model HR-2 Headphone Remote Station: A compact, unobtrusive box that clamps to a mike stand or belt, providing two headphone jacks, each with its own volume control. Any number of HR-2 stations may be connected to an SP-20A using standard microphone cables. Comes with snap-on, snap-off mike stand clamp. Click here for a picture and description of the HR-2 Headphone Remote Station.
Power: 20 watts per channel, stereo, into either 4 ohms or 8 ohms, or 40 watts mono into 8 ohms, 20 Hz to 20 KHz.
Connectors: Speakers: 5-way binding posts (accommodates dual banana plugs, spade lugs, bare wires, etc.) Remote Headphone: XLR.
Input Impedance: 20K ohms.
Sensitivity: -1.9 dBu (625 mV) required for full output into 8 ohms.
Connectors: SP-20A, 1/4" phone, unbalanced; SP-20AB, XLR, balanced.
Distortion: .01% THD at full rated power at 1 KHz; .05% THD 20 Hz to 20 KHz.
Dynamic Range: Greater than 99 dB
Frequency Response: +0, -1 dB from 20 Hz to 20 KHz, 1 watt output.
Dynamic Headroom: 2 dB, stereo, measured with 10 ms toneburst at 1 KHz, 1% duty cycle.
Power Requirement: 120 VAC, 60 Hz, 130 watts
Mechanical: Dimensions: 1.75" H x 8.45" W x 8.25" D. Weight: 9 lbs (4.2 kg).
0 dBu equals .775 Vrms.